Sunday, December 16, 2012

"Cranberry Christmas" by Wende and Harry Devlin

I love the Christmas season, and I love books and movies about Christmas.  I'm going to try to share a few of my favorite Christmas children's books here this week, beginning with one we got from the library yesterday.  I remember getting this book (and one of its predecessors, Cranberry Thanksgiving) from the library when I was a little kid, and I'm delighted to say they're as good as I remembered.  I love it when that happens!


In Cranberry Christmas, young Maggie's friend Mr. Whiskers faces two problems:  mean Cyrus Grape, who claims no one can skate on the pond because he owns it, and Mr. Whiskers' sister, who wants to make Mr. Whiskers leave his home in Cranberryport and move in with her in the city.  With Maggie and her Grandmother's help, Mr. Whiskers thwarts them both.

I absolutely love the illustrations in this book.  Here are my favorites:

Maggie and Mr. Whiskers skating

Mr. Whiskers declaring his outrage to Grandmother and Maggie

My favorite illustration of all

Do you and your children have favorite Christmas or winter books?  Please share!  I'm always on the lookout for new books to introduce the kids to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? Whatever it is, please remember that this is a family-oriented blog and choose your words accordingly. I tend to respond to almost every comment, so check the little box to have follow-up comments mailed to you if you want to be sure you don't miss the rest of the conversation.