Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Trucker Sandwiches

My goodness, has it really been a week since I posted here?  I guess Thanksgiving took more out of me than I realized.  At any rate, I'm back, and today I'm sharing a recipe we made up ourselves.  It was inspired by an article my husband read in an old National Geographic.  I have no idea what the article was about, but in it they described sandwiches that truckers would get at truck stops that have the whole meal between slices of bread, side dishes and all.  We thought that sounded nifty, so we made up our own version.  Here it is:


Trucker Sandwiches

Ingredients:

12 slices sourdough or rye bread 
12 slices processed Swiss cheese 
2 oz. sliced corned beef 
1/2 lb. French fries 
1/2 lb. deli coleslaw 

Directions:

Fry the fries in oil in a skillet. Meanwhile, place corned beef on 6 of the bread slices, layer a slice of cheese on every piece of bread (on top of corned beef on those 6 slices), and broil until the cheese melts. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the fries onto the bread slices that have corned beef on them. Top with a spoonful of coleslaw and remaining bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? Whatever it is, please remember that this is a family-oriented blog and choose your words accordingly. I tend to respond to almost every comment, so check the little box to have follow-up comments mailed to you if you want to be sure you don't miss the rest of the conversation.